[Updated 23.01-2008]
While toying around on the internet today I stumbled across a game I used to play back in like 2000 or something. An online, top-down space shooter. I remember the gameplay feeling a bit similar to Asteroids, but of course more advanced. It's called SubSpace and still looks interesting. I might just be checking it out properly again soon.
I also looked through lists of freeware multiplayer games in hope of finding something I can enjoy with my mates next time (if ever) we get together for a LAN. I'll list the games here:
World of Padman
An FPS based in a cartoony minature world. Built on the Quake 3 engine. Has both single and multiplayer modes.
Nexuiz
Free open-source FPS, apparently a great multiplayer game. Look at the graphics!
Liero-AI
An apparently more advanced version of Liero, with online/network play and bloody fun.
Tremulous
A strategic FPS, aliens vs humans. You can choose to be a builder or fighter, and can evolve/buy equipment throughout the games. Remembering all the Aliens Vs Predator fun we used to have, this is a must-try.
Death Illustrated
I dunno. It sounded alright, an FPS based on a gothic comic world, but the screens look.. Crude.
F.E.A.R.
The multiplayer version of this game is available for free! It's a modern FPS, 'nuff said.
Warsow
Freeware FPS with a cartoony, quite interesting style. I'll be giving this one a shot soon.
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
Yet another FPS. I don't know what to say, except that I thought this one was commercial until I stumbled across a forum discussion about it.
America's Army
Heh, haven't we all heard of this by now? An FPS, which I suppose can be compared to the Battlefield games? Anyways, the system requirements are somewhat high, at least for most of the computers here at home.
Urban Terror
FPS. Yeah. This one really resembles Counter-Strike, and they say it's a crossbreed of CS and Unreal Tournament or something. There's nothing written about the system requirements on their site, a hefty minus to them.
Vantage Master Online
A tactical RPG of sorts, Japanese. It's translated (poorly at times) to English though. I don't know anything about the gameplay, but I'll link it for convenience.
Far Cry
The freeware version of Far Cry is full of ads, but it's still free. And Far Cry is really a great game!
The Rockstar Classics: GTA + GTA2
They're free now, remember?
OpenTTD (Transport Tycoon Deluxe)
This is a freeware clone of Transport Tycoon Deluxe. Jolly good.
4 comments:
Dude, Tremulous rocks!!
I used to play this game ALL THE TIME at school (last year). it is actually a native Linux game, but the Windows version works great! It's based on the very flexible Quake III engine by the way.
Subspace (now known as continuum) is an awesome game, I've been playing it for 10 years and still play it almost every day.
the far cry still great! Like it man!
i tried tremulous, and it is also superb! btw, do u hav links 2 other freewares? And linux apps?
I don't, sorry. If I stumble across anything I'll update the list.
Post a Comment