Monday, September 3, 2007

Retracing My Steps

Last night I decided to create a database system for my characters (initially MMO characters, but generally a collection of characters I've come up with from wherever), with full information about every single character, and the possibility to look one up and write more whenever I feel like it. The basic idea is something I've worked with in Visual Basic before, though this time I'm trying to learn php, thus I want to make the thing in php. In other words, not just a functional database, but a sleek web-based database. However, what I've worked with this far is PHP For Dummies, which wasn't as educational as I had hoped. Thus I need to know more about php first. By then I'd probably forget about the whole idea, so what I want to do now is to write the database in MS Access, since we worked with that at school and it worked great. Now I don't have the Office package, so I'm using OpenOffice. The Database tool there is quite different from Access, so while I'm retracing my steps I'm also learning another brand new program.

My success now is far from guaranteed. In fact, I'm fucked. But I'm not too fucked to at least try.

No comments: