Friday, November 16, 2007

Reentering The Modding Scene?

Back in the days of Duke Nukem 3D I was really into modding. Thanks to the really nice editor Build I spent countless hours making levels, either from scratch or by trying to convert real-life locations (like my home, school and a shopping mall) to the game world. The newer generation of games became a bit harder, I tried my hand at the first UnrealEd (sp?), but 3d modelling and perspectives overwhelmed me. I didn't really get into it, in other words. This must've been when I was 11 or 12 though. So today I sat down with the TES Construction Set, which is the editor for Oblivion. At first I didn't understand shit, but thanks to some tutorials around on the internet I soon understood the basics. I get the whole placement thing, at least. Scripting is still beyond me, but I'll get there. Building stuff entirely from scratch is my next goal. Perhaps this could earn me the knowledge and skills needed to get into game development?

This also gives me the opportunity to construct several of my own town/gameworld ideas. I wonder if editors for FPS games are basically the same as this one.

No comments: