Monday, November 15, 2010

xmldotphp

It's been a busy week.
Most importantly, there's been an assignment based on XML/AJAX for my XML class. It started out pretty easy, as our first task was to fetch an external RSS feed and output it via PHP. I guess PHP is one of my strongest points so far, so that was cake. The second part, however, was to fetch the same feed by using JavaScript, more specifically by using XMLHttpRequest (which is a central part in what's called AJAX).
Now, I won't lie. We were stuck on this part for days. We found example upon example, but none would work for us. I began to suspect that the examples were outdated, but one of my fellow students eventually found out that one can't do such a request to an external domain at all. That gave me another kickstart, as I realized that I could write a very quick script in PHP that fetches the XML-file and serves it up locally.
This realization and kickstart hit me some hours before our deadline, and I finished it just in time to deliver it. However, today I was told that due to some other students' laziness, the deadline has been extended by one week. If that's not frustrating, I don't know what is.
I was planning to post the code here, but since the deadline is still running, I don't intend to make it easier for the others.

Now I'm finishing up my article regarding the change from physical to digital distribution for one of my classes. I need to finish that in time for our exam cases, which we get on wednesday. Then it's rapid-fire exams until December 7th, after which I can finally relax and enjoy ramping up to christmas. Maybe I'll have some time for recording, and to learn how to play the guitar. Since World of Warcraft: Cataclysm is coming out, I also expect to check that out.

I've recently updated my artist description on last.fm, not that I believe anyone really cares. I figured it needed a slight update, and I read about how to use tags to your advantage, so there.

In related news, I've teamed up with Sixto Sounds to finish my track for the Maverick Rising project, which is a pretty awesome Mega Man X series arrangement album with mostly metal and hard rock. It's said to be released in January-ish. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: