I guess there's a first for everything.
Today I've probably failed my first written exam. Having spent the last few days studying every subject from my notes in depth, aiming to understand it rather than just memorize it (because seriously, I'm unable to memorize stuff. I wouldn't even be able to get up in the morning without a note reminding me to do it), I felt as ready as ever when I walked to school today.
We got our exam papers handed to us, and after opening it up I just sat there, paralyzed, for about half an hour. I didn't know this shit. Despite furious reading, I'd managed to miss one specific topic, on which 50% of the exam results relied.
The process from query to execution, with focus on "the canonical query graph", is something I can barely remember being touched in our lectures. Now that I no longer sit in front of a jury with my life hanging by a thread, I at least remember that the syntax must be processed and verified, but that doesn't cut it anyways.
I need to vent. I'll probably be over this in a few hours, so just bear with my bitching. I guess this is what follows disappointment and frustration.
I've felt that I mastered this course. I know most of the course material well, and I can handle a database as most of the deeper functionality is automated and hard-coded into the system. It seems to me like this is some kind of joke, that a course called "Practical database administration" (yeah, it says practical) is a deeply theoretical course. It's the kind of joke I don't understand, unless the one behind it all has a face like this:
No comments:
Post a Comment