Saturday, March 28, 2009

Understanding Network Issues

Something's fishy about the network connection I'm currently using.
It's a fiber broadband connection which has given me stunning results before, but when I fired up my laptop today I've had nothing but slowdowns and random dropouts. The thing is, when I run any of the speed tests available on the internet, I get the regular results of between 6000 and 10000 kbps down. These slowdowns and dropouts affect all kinds of sites, anything from Norway to Australia.
Could it be that the router needs rest, or a reboot for some reason or other? Perhaps the modem, even?

Defining the slowdown: Ubuntu updates from their Norwegian fileserver took two hours to stabilize a connection for, and then it stabilized at 20kbps. For a torrent, I've peaked at 65kbps for a tiny moment, with random ups and downs between 20 and 40.

No comments: