Monday, September 13, 2010

At The Gates



One of the things I remember best about last Thursday is Jerry Only yelling "Nice shot, asshole!" to someone in the crowd.
A plastic glass of beer had barely missed Misfits drummer Robo's head and hit the wall behind him. Shit like this is why I'm glad I'm never going to be a performing musician. I mean, shit. If someone had hit any of my gear with a glass of beer, I'd want their blood.

This was my second Misfits concert ever, and my better half's first one. They've been one of my very favourite bands for years, and although the band's current incarnation isn't quite the same as what it once was, they still rock live. It baffles me that a 3-piece band can create such a solid wall of sound. What else baffles me is how they manage to play their tracks (especially the older ones, from the Glenn Danzig era) about twice as fast as the album versions.

With both Robo and Dez Cadena's history in the band Black Flag, I sort of expected them to do at least one Black Flag song.. And so they did. This seems to have become standard practice, and I don't mind at all.

Unfortunately we had to leave early to catch the train back home, and we left just as they started playing the title track from their new album, Land of the Dead. I still haven't heard this album, and they didn't have it for sale in the merchandise booth either. That was sort of a let-down. On the other hand, I did get my hands on at least one CD. One of the warm-up bands, Sir Reg, impressed us enough for us to go and buy their album. They kind of remind me of Dropkick Murphys.

No comments: