Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The (second) 3D Failure

I've finally gotten a proper demonstration of the new 3D monitors from one of the major providers. I've seen what 3d has to offer and how it works, but I'm not at all impressed.

I guess 3D is one of the major technology hypes right now, just like it was about ten years ago or so. The big difference this time is that they've gone more thoroughly through with everything, meaning they've gotten most major movie studios in on it.

There are several problems with 3D; It still demands glasses (which demand power to sync with the monitors, not to mention that they look absolutely silly), it may cause dizziness and confusion with some people, it doesn't really enrich the movie experience (at least not in my eyes), and it simply looks bad. Seriously. The 3D effect is there, but the foreground layers feel more like cardboard cutouts than anything else. It's more distracting than immersive.


There it is, finally some venting again after months of silence. I haven't had alot to write about lately, so the arrival of 3D TVs has had one positive effect.

No comments: