Saturday, June 20, 2009

Prototype (Me Smash!)

Quoting Penny Arcade, "In Prototype you can do a karate kick on a helicopter. What the fuck else do you want!?"

This is true. I've spent an evening or two with the game now, and feel the need to express my opinion. First up, let me describe the first ten minutes or so of the game:

The player starts out in a city street where total panic has erupted, there are civillians and zombies everywhere. You know what this means, right? Massive genocide/zombiecide. You can kill anyone. You can pick them up and toss them at each others as well. You can also pick up cars though, and toss them around instead. When fighting enemy military you can pick up any of their guns and use them yourself, although it seems the core of the game is your fighting abilities. Did I mention that if you're low on HP, you can grab and consume anyone around you for health? You'll also get to steal their appearance by doing that.
I've failed to mention the general movement. There's parkour, and you can run up walls. Can you imagine the awesomeness of being chased by a helicopter, only to run up the wall of the nearest skyscraper and lunge off and karate kick it out of the sky? Yeah.
If that doesn't strike your fancy, you can also toss cars at them.

So, after some minutes of fun, you get to see the "shapeshifting" abilities (or, I don't know if I should describe it as that..), since the character can morph his hands into giant claws, a whip, or huge clubs at his will. They all work in different ways, and have kind of distinct uses. Claws for heavy damage to the hunter mutants you encounter, the whip for flying stuff, and clubs for tanks and buildings(?).

The gameplay has some slight stealth elements (take military officers' identities to enter military bases, and such), but it's not a very advanced system. It's very fun though.

Finally, you can hijack tanks. After gaining that ability, I've come to the conclusion that this game can be described as a blend of GTA and Assassin's Creed elements, with a huge dose of awesome.

I've seen quite the number of complaints about the graphics, but personally I couldn't care less about the "cutting-edge" photorealism that some pursue. This game uses the system resources to have huge amounts of actors on screen at the same time. I would only dare guess the amounts of people I saw around me just during the first ten minutes of the game.

No comments: