Monday, February 9, 2009

Working With Sonar

Last time I tried Sonar was on my laptop, which didn't really result in much. I tried it a couple of times, toying around with some basic softsynths. My Native Instruments Rig Kontrol unit didn't perform too well for some reason, so I didn't try any recording. Anyways, now I've installed the demo on my desktop computer, and since NI finally has released Vista64-compatible drivers, I've finally gotten stuff up and running on that machine. That is, I've got Guitar Rig and the Sonar 7 demo, anyways. Sonar has some nifty features, like the midi editor which is alot faster than the one in Cubase (direct editing, you don't have to double-click the midi track to enter piano-roll-editor), and the stacking of multiple recordings. Unfortunately, the rest of the workflow is very difficult to get used to for me, and there's a multitude of buttons everywhere. Managing VST instruments is slower and more difficult as well.

..Cubase does cost about three times what Sonar costs, so they might cancel each others out that way, but I still prefer working in Cubase. I just hope they'll draw some inspiration from these two wonderful features.

Small edit: I forgot to mention the performance boost. I'm not sure if the computer is really *that* much more powerful, but Sonar showed 0-10% CPU usage while using two instances of Guitar Rig. On my old workstation, I can't have any other instruments/plugins active when I've got two Guitar Rig instances going. There's a 3,2ghz single core vs a 3,2ghz dual core 64-bit cpu.

No comments: