Monday, March 31, 2008

Frozen Rapids

Frozen Rapids

I sat down with my guitar again today. I’d just hooked up a crappy old headset to my computer, and figured I’d try to play a bit and see how bad the headset really was. Honestly, it was utterly crap. I think it’s broken, as the slightest hint of sound clipped. I’ve got the budget to get a new headset soon though. A proper studio headset. But anyways, on to the song. I used my heavy guitar for this one, hoping that the heavier gauge strings (and intensely high-output mics) would produce something quite different from what I’m working with on my other projects. This guitar is tuned in D, and thus the chords did sound quite different. I can’t turn up the volume very much because people here are sleeping, but I think I got a pretty balanced sound. This is the 6/8 drum loop I usually jam to, by the way.

It started with an attempt to remember Is There Anybody Out There? by Pink Floyd, but I ended up with something I figured I could record for later. Then I improvised some lead playing on top, to see how well I could mix it and how it'd fit in. It ended up sounding very melodious, and could possibly be worked into a full song.

Oh, and the title ties this to my girlfriend’s picture with the same name. Check it out here. And spiritually, this song is Frozen River's little brother.

No comments: